Sunday, September 13, 2009

SIDENOTE: All Bets Are Off. Tasting Rooms May Do You Harm…



I’ve worked in restaurants , in myriad bars and clubs and lounges,…I’ve had some followers, some dedicated imbibers that I hope were such for the service and a good chat…


However, the average Bartender typically does not take the time to give you production methods on your Hendricks gin or give you the history behind your Chartreuse.
Wine tasting is a whole different game…because the pourer has to take you through a whole flight of wines… No “Here is your sidecar, $12….thanks”



Now you get appellations, case productions, barrel type, and stories about local mountain men producing award winning wines…Today as I was stepping out of my favorite winery I finally realized why there are no “bars” in Sonoma…there is no need.


In a restaurant, if you happen to find a good tender or sommelier you may be persuaded to opt for the Salon over the Veuve…in the Valley you are opting for a half case of cult cabs over a bottle of the estate syrah…

1 comment:

  1. This is all so exciting! Why would you ever want to come back to new york city. Let me tell you, there are no lavender fields to frolic in... rather, underground germ infested subways that smell like urine.
    Think About It.

    Keep posting please and thankyou!

    ReplyDelete